A former Carmelite convent, this delightful Lisbon hotel continues to enjoy both privacy and sanctity. Located in the sleepy Lapa district, the hotel is reached via a pink-walled staircase which opens out onto a terrace filled with bright flowers, plants and trailing vines. It's easy to see why such writers as Graham Greene and John Le Carré chose to stay here on their visits to Lisbon. \r\n \r\nThere are 36 rooms housed within the 17th-century building, complete with solid wood furnishings and four-poster beds. Despite the many decorative references to the hotel's religious past, this laid-back residence is anything but austere and feels more like a country retreat. The hotel acquired its name after two Yorkshire ladies rented the property in 1880 and turned it into a guesthouse. \r\n \r\nThe Portuguese restaurant comes highly recommended and during the summer months food is served on the leafy terrace; it's one of the few quality outdoor eating spots in the city! Rooms are quickly snapped up, so it's best to book in advance.